A civil lawsuit is a non-criminal civil disagreement involving different parties wherein one demands restitution from the other. You will have greater freedom in choosing the result of the lawsuit if it is resolved outside the court. In Singapore, legal proceedings may be costly. Before going to court, it is encouraged to employ a dispute resolution (ADR) technique wherever feasible. Several forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), such as negotiation, settlement, and arbitration, could save you the time and money of civil litigation.
But, if ADR is not practicable or is ineffective in resolving the issue, a civil lawsuit must be filed in court. A marine civil litigation lawyer singapore can help you with this and save you the excess trouble of going through it all by yourself. They effectively detail the case and represent you with only the best lawyers. These services have a variety of lawyers in different fields of expertise available to help you with the specific case you’re dealing with.
The procedure of filing a lawsuit
- A civil litigation lawyer would make sure you understand all of your alternatives and monetary requirements and will guide you through the whole dispute settlement and litigation procedure. Typically, before any legal procedures in Singapore begin, a civil legal lawyer would help you determine if the potential defendant has adequate assets to settle your claims.
- To avoid incurring excessive legal expenditures, you might issue a Letter of Demand to discuss and resolve the problem. Civil litigation attornies will assist you in gathering proof to support your claims and negotiating with the other parties to establish a win-win outcome. If one side refuses to budge, the Defendant might be served with a Writ of Summon to start legal procedures.
- A civil litigation counsel could give appropriate legal advice and represent either side in court to order a decision or file an appeal once legal processes have begun.
- Even if you win your lawsuit against either party, your civil litigation lawyer could counsel and support you in the implementation processes, particularly if another party fails to settle your claims.
- There are several types of claims that are usually addressed in court. One such is a small claims tribunal. The Small Claims Tribunal hears any claim worth less than $20,000. It is important to note that attorneys are not permitted to defend any one of the sides in front of Tribunals. They might, however, urge either the defendant or the claimant to demonstrate the basis for any disagreements before the hearing.